We’d like to take this time to inform you of a recent data breach. At this time, 1.2 billion passwords have been compromised from more than 420,000 websites. However, as far as we know, no financial information has been compromised. Please inform your members that they should take this time to change their passwords and remind them to be diligent in using safe password protocol – such as using a variety of passwords for different sites.
Please be assured that your account information has not been compromised at SCU. We work hard at maintaining your account safety and currently have more protocols in place than most institutions in our area.
Tips For Online Password Security
1. Be Unique and Creative.
Use strong, complex passwords that contain:
• alpha/numeric characters and symbols
• upper and lower case characters
• minimum of 8 characters but longer is recommended
• no real words or names of family/friends/pets
• use entire keyboard; avoid strings of identical characters
2. Change your passwords regularly and use a different password for each website you access.
3. Never reveal your confidential login ID, password, PIN or answers to security questions to anyone.
4. Never reveal your confidential login ID, password, PIN or answers to security questions by e-mail.
5. Never bank online using computers at kiosks, cafes, unsecured computers or unsecured wireless networks.
6. Prohibit the use of shared user names and passwords for your online banking accounts.